You will use iMovie to create a 5×5 Digital Story during Week 1’s Lab. The movie you create will introduce yourself and is designed to introduce you to some of the features of iMovie and video editing in general. Below are instructions and links to tutorials for completing this assignment. Three hours has been more than enough time in previous quarters to complete the tutorial and project.
Follow the instructions the imovie11_tutorial.pdf (also available at http://its.pages.tcnj.edu/files/2012/09/imovie11_tutorial.pdf) to edit a 5×5 digital story using photos and voiceover. We will discuss 5×5 videos during lecture; a reminder is here at Vimeo 5×5 Challenge.
Your 5×5 digital story should support your topic, message, or slogan; that leaves a lot of room for you to figure out what your 5×5 will say/show/tell. Be as creative as you want to be, but remember the objective is to create a 25 second movie using photos, voiceover, and, music.
Media Restrictions & Requirements
This video will be published on Vimeo but set to private. You will not be exhibiting your video, so you can use copyrighted materials (we will discuss this in more detail later in the quarter). This will not be true for videos created later in the quarter.
You must cite all media included by providing a link to its source. This link should go in the credits of the video itself (not in the video’s description). The credits can appear during and after the 26th second of the video.
Submission and Title
You should create your new Event and Project on your flash drive/digital storage device. I will show you how to do this during lab.
You will submit this video to Vimeo.com and paste the video’s URL into PolyLearn. Here are the steps for doing that:
- Create an account on Vimeo.com if you do not already have one. Be sure to verify your account through the email address you supply, or you won’t be able to publish your video.
- Upload your video to Vimeo. Note that it will take 30-60 minutes for your video to process once it is uploaded.
- Add details to your video on Vimeo. Be sure to add an appropriate title, description, and tags. Your video must be tagged with kine320 and 5×5, plus any other tags that are relevant to your video and topic.
- Change the video’s privacy to “Only people with a password” and make the password kine320. Try, search, and ask: Try to do it, search for answers and then ask for help if needed.
- Save a copy of the iMovie project files to your hard drive. This will let you access and even reuse parts of your project on future endeavors***.
Make sure you also follow the instructions in Step 13 (on the very last page) to export your video in Quicktime m4v format. This file will be for your records so that you can use it later, whether in this quarter, your portfolio, or in a future campaign. If you omit this step, you will not have a storage copy of your video.
The most important aspect of this project today is that you get familiar with using iMovie to edit together a digital story. Don’t worry about whether or not it is perfect, or cringe at hearing your voice on the computer (this is a natural response). Focus more on using the computer as a tool for storytelling — because a story is what your campaign and message ultimately are.
Have fun, explore, create, and paste your URL in your blog before you leave tonight!